Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Brochure

Out of all of the projects, I think this one may have taken the longest for me to complete. I tried to go many different directions with the design and considered changing the topic a few times, but once I started, I was determined to come up with something.

My first step was to incorporate the text. I chose my favorite sweet wines from five local wineries on the Niagara Wine Trail. I visited each of the winery websites to get the descriptions of the individual wines and included them underneath the name of the wine and the winery where it can be found.

The fonts and layout of the text in the center of the brochure came naturally and I had a picture of wine being poured into a glass, which is where I got the text color. I had initially put the image on a transparent background to use for the front page, but the background of the glass did not match and I decided the image was not the right fit for the design.

The rest of the text came from the Niagara Wine Trail site. I included the contact information for each of the wineries I used in selecting the wines and the description of the general wine trail.

My next step was to Bing images of wine. I found the corks and the grapevine almost immediately and cropped them to fit on the center flap and back page. However, I struggled for a long time on what to do with the background. I had a vague idea of what color I wanted the brochure to be and what the design could look like, but every photo I found did not have the proper resolution to be used as the background.

I then began to search for any kind of tutorial I could find for making a terracotta texture or parchment paper. Finally, after days of searching, I stumbled across an old paper texture tutorial and created the background I used for the finished product. The transparent background image of the wine and grapes was easy to find from there, but I struggled with the front cover. It is still a bit plain for my liking but overall, I am happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment