Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Huntington's Disease Awareness Poster

I feel that this project is probably the most professional looking of the pieces I have done. I tried to keep the design minimal because I really wanted to emphasize the message.

Huntington's Disease, a genetic, neurodegenerative disease, is in my family, so it is an issue that is very close to my heart. I wanted to keep the tone serious, but hopeful and I feel I have accomplished that it the final piece.

This project started with just the blue color of the Huntington's Disease awareness ribbon. I wanted to incorporate the organizations that are highly involved in the development of a cure and the color was a way to symbolize them. However, having the dark blue background made it difficult to put anything on top and it reminded me of the old loading screen on a computer when it was shut down wrong. Instead, I put another box over the top in white, leaving the blue as a border.

I knew right away that I wanted to include the fact that every child of a parent with HD has a 50/50 chance of inheriting the gene. To really illustrate that point, I included the hand flipping a coin, because the odds of heads or tails are the same as the odds for the having the HD gene. To further emphasize the point, I also made the coin and the 50/50 gold, while the hand and the text are both black and white.

Once I had the bottom half of the poster completed, I had a hard time figuring out what to do with all of the leftover blank space. I tried to incorporate the logo in the center, but it was far too busy and took away from the message. Eventually I settled on the logos in the top corners and wrote the message in the center, emphasizing the two organizations once again through the use of the blue text.

No comments:

Post a Comment